At Britain IDC, we offer preschool classes for children with disabilities as well as children who are typically developing. Our goal is to help children develop the skills necessary to prepare them for success their next environment (Mother's Day Out, community preschool, kindergarten, etc.). Additionally, we believe it is our role to help parents learn how to teach their children and become advocates for them in the future.
At Britain IDC, our set-up is similar in many ways to that of a community preschool. Typical components of preschool, such as circle time, centers, playground time, snack, music, etc. occur daily. We also use a variety of teaching strategies, therapy techniques, equipment, etc. to help children learn. About once per month, parents participate in their child's "Special Day," which involves volunteering in the classroom and bringing an appropriate snack for the children.
Our preschool program is not highly academic. Although children learn pre-academic skills during the course of the year, we focus on providing experiences to grow socially.
Peer Model Qualities
- Has an easygoing manner
- Is willing to try new activities
- Actively engages in pretend play
- Has age-appropriate play skills (manipulative toys, sensory exploration)
- Works well with other children
- Follows directions both individually and when given in a group
- Can sit and attend to large group activities for an appropriate amount of time
- Has speech that is clear and easily understood by people who do not know the child
- Responds verbally when spoken to by adults or other children
- Can answer age-appropriate questions (what, who, where, why)
- Demonstrates age-appropriate gross and fine motor skills
- Is 3 (or will be during the fall semester) or 4 years old
In addition to the qualities listed above, we make our peer model determination based upon the ages of the children in the class and the need for a balance of both girl and boy peer models. We begin the peer model screening process in January; parents can contact us around that time to set up a visit and determine if the classroom will be a good match. Peer models then attend the preschool program from mid-August through the end of May. Attendance during the summer is optional. Typically, classes are offered Monday and Wednesday morning, Monday and Wednesday afternoon, Tuesday and Thursday morning, and Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. The cost of the peer model program is $75 per month.
If you have questions or would like to schedule a visit, please contact Shanan Lee at 913-676-2253 (preferably on Mondays or Wednesdays).