A Diabetes Support Group
On the first Thursday of each month, the Diabetes Education Center offers learn and share programs from 11 a.m.-noon.
New Class Location
Woodland Hills Building, 7315 E. Frontage Rd., Shawnee Mission, KS 66204.
Click here for a map of the new location
- January 4: Flexibility and Body Mechanics - Learn how to prevent injury and stay safe and healthy
- February 1: The Diabetes Emotional Roller Coaster - Support for dealing with the emotional ups and downs
- March 1: Continuous Glucose Monitoring: A New Frontier - Join us to find out the latest information on some of the newest technology
- April 5: Don’t Be Fooled by Fad Diets - Review of popular diets and the pros and cons
- May 3: Cooking Class - Whip up some fast and tasty dishes with our Dietitians
- June 7: Reasons to Smile - Learn about the intersection between diabetes and dental health
- July: No Meeting This Month – Happy 4th of July!
- August 2: Are Your Making Your 150 Minutes? - Different ways to get your 150 minutes of exercise in a week - and bring your ideas to share!
- September 6: Cooking Lite: South of the Border - Spice up your life by adding taste, flavor and new recipes without sacrificing your diet
- October 4: Take the Scariness out of Restaurant Choices - Review actual menus and demystify healthy options you can order
- November 1: Eye Care - Start early and stick with it. Our guest speaker is a local ophthalmologist, Dr. Blake Cooper.
- December 6: Party Potluck - Share a dish and tips to keep you on track during the holidays
To register, please use the form below. For more information, call the Outpatient Nutrition Clinic at 913-676-2495.
Support Group Benefits
People with diabetes face many similar challenges including major lifestyle changes, relationship challenges and dietary adjustments. A support group provides opportunities to share experiences and to learn from one another.
Come to our Live Well with Diabetes group to:
- Learn new information
- Renew your energy
- Ask questions and get answers you can trust
- Share your experiences with others.
- Further Support
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have lived with diabetes for years, the Diabetes Education Center at Shawnee Mission Medical Center can help you meet the challenge of living with diabetes. Although diabetes is a serious health concern, managing it properly will help reduce your risk for problems later in life. If you have never received individual diabetes education, call 913-676-2548 for an appointment. Our team is ready to help. We will get you started on the path to good blood sugar control.