Diabetes Education Center
Education is crucial to controlling diabetes. Since medicine alone is not adequate to regulate diabetes, lifestyle changes are also needed to achieve good blood sugar control.
Diabetes education includes:
- Blood sugar monitoring
- Prevention of long term problems.
Available education includes:
- Individual visits with a diabetes nurse educator and a registered dietitian
- Diabetes education classes offered Tuesday evenings or Wednesday mornings
- New classes starting every month
- Tuesdays - 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays - 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Free monthly support group on the first Thursday of each month from 11 a.m.-noon
Diabetes education gives you the power to control diabetes so it does not control you. Call our Diabetes Education Center for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Shawnee Mission Diabetes Education Center
9100 W. 74th Street, Shawnee Mission, KS 66204
Weight Management Programs
SMH has individual and group weight management programs that provide simple food plans, recipes, strategies for eating out, behavior change techniques, tips on how to handle emotional eating and more.
- INSHAPE One-on-One Program: Features one 90-minute session followed by weekly 15-minute follow-up appointments with a registered dietitian.
- Weight Management University Group Program: Weight Management University is a 8 week group program with an optional extended 4 week session for those wanting to continue their weight loss journey. New sessions starting in February, May, and September.
- For more information, to schedule an appointment or to enroll in Weight Management University, call the Outpatient Nutrition Clinic at 913-676-2495.