Shawnee Mission Health Recent Achievements
- The new Shawnee Mission Birth Center, with a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit where moms can room-inwiththeir babies, opened in February 2013. The hospital delivers 4,500 babies annually, more than any other hospital in the Kansas City metro area.
- Shawnee Mission Medical Center (SMMC) was the first hospital in a five state area to use the da Vinci Surgical Robot in 2002. Since that time, more than 2,000 robotic surgeries have been performed, benefiting patients with less blood loss and faster recovery times.
- The new Shawnee Mission Cancer Center opened in January on the Merriam campus. The Center offers a full array ofoncology services, including medical oncology, radiation oncology, infusion therapies and other on-site integrative treatments and cancer support services. In addition, the Center offers a PET/CT scanner that provides advanced imaging and treatment planning.
- Nearly 70,000 patients are seen annually through Shawnee Mission Health’s (SMH) two Emergency Departments (ED). The ED at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County.
- SMH Prairie Star, located at K-7 and Prairie Star Parkway in Lenexa, recently opened its second phase, doubling the size of the campus. Expanded physician offices, Hand Center and Therapy Specialties programs are located in the new building. The campus also includes a free-standing ED, Surgery Center, Inpatient Bariatric & Spine Unit, Wound Care Center and more.
- Becker’s Hospital Review named SMMC to its 2013 list of “100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs” for demonstrating excellent clinical outcomes, cardiac risk-reduction programs and an innovative approach to cardiac care. SMMC was the only hospital in Johnson County, Kan., to earn this recognition.
- The Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey, a standardized survey of hospital patients done by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, shows SMMC is the Kansas City metro’s top hospital for patient satisfaction in the most recent publicly reported data.
- SMMC was named a 2013 Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America. SMMC was recognized by The Joint Commission for exemplary performance in using evidence-based clinical processes that are shown to improve care for certain conditions.
- SMMC earned an A grade in 2013 for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group, a national leader and advocate in hospital transparency. Each year, The Leapfrog Group assigns hospitals a Hospital Safety Score, available to consumers at HospitalSafetyScore.org. This score represents a hospital’s overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors.