How to Prepare for Your Surgery in the Main OR at SMMC
We are delighted you and your physician have chosen Shawnee Mission Health for your surgery. It is our goal to provide you with a safe and pleasant experience.
This information will aid you in preparing for your surgery and will answer many questions you may have. As a patient, you play an important role in your own health care. Your participation in the decision-making process and your willingness to follow self-care instructions are vital to your complete recovery.
Please take the time to read this information several days before your surgery. If you have additional questions, feel free to call one of the phone numbers listed. We are happy to work with you to help ensure the best experience possible.
For your convenience, please call 913-632-9333 to register for your surgery. The Pre-registration office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
If your insurance requires a co-payment, deductible or co-insurance, you will be notified by the Pre-registration staff and asked to provide payment prior to or at time of service. Please bring your insurance card(s) with you on the day of your surgery,as well as a copy of your Advance Directive
or Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
A nurse from the Pre-Surgery Clinic will call you before your surgery to review your health history information. Please have available a current list of medications and the dosage amounts. The nurse will be able to answer any questions you may have about the surgical process, and will determine if you need any additional tests before your surgery.
Pre-surgery testing is done just inside the Outpatient Entrance of the main hospital. Please see the map below for where to enter or click here to download a PDF of the map
Please follow these instructions prior to your surgery.
- The Pre-Surgery Clinic nurse will instruct you when to stop eating and drinking and which medications you should take the morning of surgery.
- Bathe or shower for your surgery following the pre-operative bathing instructions.
- Avoid taking aspirin, Ibuprofen and any herbal or dietary supplements one week prior to your surgery. Although you do not need to bring your home medications with you to the hospital.
- Please bring a written list of current medications and dosages.
- Leave all jewelry and other valuables at home.
- Metal such as earrings, nose rings or other body piercing may not be worn.
- If you use a C-PAP or Bi-PAP breathing machine, please bring it with you on the day of your surgery.