Whether you need a few visits to prevent problems or a comprehensive treatment program, our therapists specialize in hand therapy, bringing years of experience and expertise to your treatment. Our hand therapy team works with patients who may have been affected by accidents or repetitive trauma to hands or arms. The role of the therapist is to rehabilitate each patient, starting within days of injury or surgery, through return to work and/or productive lifestyle.
Hand therapy rehabilitation includes:
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Desensitization following an injury or trauma
- Sensory re-education after an injury
- Design and implementation of exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity and/or strength
- Customized splints to protect repaired structures, prevent/correct deformity or substitute for lost function
- Training in the use of adapted methods to perform daily living skills
- Management of open or sutured wounds to aid healing
- Control of hypertrophic (raised and/or swollen) hypersensitive scars
- Reduction of swelling
- Conditioning prior to return to work
- Preventive programs for workers at risk of developing cumulative trauma disorders.
Disorders commonly treated by the hand team include:
- Tendon injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Nerve compression syndromes
- Repetitive strain injuries
For more information about hand therapy at TherapyPlus, call the ASK-A-NURSE Resource center at 913-676-7777.