Shawnee Mission Medical Center (SMMC) offers diagnostic evaluation, treatment and management for neurological conditions related to the central and peripheral nervous systems.
Special areas of expertise include epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, movement and balance disorders, neuromuscular diseases and other degenerative illnesses. Neurology Services is also the home of SMMC’s Sleep Lab, a state-of-the-art resource used to diagnose and treat sleep disorders.
Patients who experience memory loss, headache, dizziness, loss of balance or movement, numbness or unexplained pain may be referred to SMMC’s Neurology Services. The most common assessments performed include:
- EEG (electroencephalogram) a technique used to study the electrical current within the brain
- ENG (electronystagmogram) a recording of eye movements used to determine the cause of dizziness and problems with balance
- EMG (electromyogram) a test used to record the electrical activity of muscles
- BAER (Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response) used to test the integrity of auditory pathways
- VER (Visual Evoked Response) used to test the integrity of visual pathways
- VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulation) a therapy that can help some people with epilepsy
To learn more about Neurology Services, call the ASK-A-NURSE Resource Center at 913-676-7777.