Open Heart Surgery
When life takes an unexpected turn and heart surgery is required, the surgeons and staff of the Shawnee Mission Heart & Vascular Center are dedicated to accompanying patients and their loved ones on the road that leads to wellness. Our cardiac surgery program consistently meets and exceeds national standards that measure the quality and success of surgical procedures.
Our Board-certified surgeons have earned national recognition for their expertise in achieving optimal results for open-heart surgery patients. Their skills are complemented by the expertise of the Center’s cardiologists, anesthesiologists, nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers, dieticians, pharmacists, chaplains, rehabilitation specialists and cardiac home health professionals.
This collaborative team of professionals is dedicated to helping each patient bounce back from surgery with renewed physical, mental and spiritual health. After discharge from the hospital, we continue to support patients and their families with cardiac rehabilitation and wellness programs.
Cardiac Surgery Program services include:
• Coronary artery bypass surgery
• Valve replacement and repair
• Septal defect repair
• Aneurysm repair
• Off-pump bypass
• Intra-op transesophageal echocardiogram and epi-aortic doppler
• Microwave abalation for atrial fibrillation
• Transmyocardial laser revascularization
• Family communication and emotional support throughout surgery including extensive patient/family education regarding hospitalization, recovery and prevention
• Social services to plan for care and support services following discharge
• Specialized cardiac home care nurses, when appropriate.
For more information about the cardiac surgery program, call the ASK-A-NURSE Resource Center at 913-676-7777.