Living Well with Diabetes
On the first Thursday of each month, the Diabetes Education Center offers learn and share programs from 11 a.m.-noon.
Remaining classes for 2014
- April 3 - Drugs for Diabetes: Learn about the latest medicine options
- May 1 - Cooking Class: We'll eat and meet this month!
- June 5 - Carbs: Friends or Foes? A review and your chance to ask food-related questions.
- July - No meeting this month. Happy 4th of July!
- Aug. 7 - The Game of Diabetes: A fun way to learn more about diabetes
- Sept. 4 - Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Is this new technology for you?
- Oct. 2 - We're Back at the Virtual Grocery Store: Hear about new low carb foods and brush up on your label reading
- Nov. 6 - How to Splurge Without Blowing It: Tips for fitting in all foods plus easy breakfast ideas
- Dec. 4 - Holiday Potluck: Join us for a holiday celebration & bring a recipe to share if you like
All classes are located in the Life Dynamics Building. For more information or to register, contact the ASK-A-NURSE Resource Center
Support Group Benefits
People with diabetes face many similar challenges including major lifestyle changes, relationship challenges and dietary adjustments. A support group provides opportunities to share experiences and to learn from one another.
Come to our Live Well with Diabetes group to:
- Learn new information
- Renew your energy
- Ask questions and get answers you can trust
- Share your experiences with others.
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have lived with diabetes for years, the Diabetes Education Center at Shawnee Mission Medical Center can help you meet the challenge of living with diabetes. Although diabetes is a serious health concern, managing it properly will help reduce your risk for problems later in life. If you have never received individual diabetes education, call 913-676-2548 for an appointment. Our team is ready to help. We will get you started on the path to good blood sugar control.