Living Well with Diabetes
On the first Thursday of each month, the Diabetes Education Center offers learn and share programs from 11 a.m.-noon.
For more information, including room location, call the Outpatient Nutrition Clinic at 913-676-2495.
- January 7 - Healthy Hibernation: Are your zzz's helping your diabetes?
- February 4 - Romancing Your Heart: Finding ways to keep your heart happy and healthy
- March 3 - Virtual Supermarket Roadmap: Diabetes-friendly shopping
- April 7 - Seeking Rewards: Our Brain as Friend and Foe. Learn ways to master the hungry beast between our ears
- May 5 - Cooking Class: Whip up some fast and tasty dishes with our dietitians
- June 2 - Neuropathy and Chronic Pain: Learn from the experts about how to prevent and treat diabetic neuropathy
- July - No Meeting this Month. Happy 4th of July!
- August 4 - Amazing Filters: Ways to keep your kidneys healthy and happy
- September 1 - Making the Most of your Doctor's Visits: How to prepare for your doctor visits and navigate the healthcare system
- October 6 - For Your Eyes Only: Diabetes and Eye Health - Hear from a local ophthalmologist about how diabetes affects your eyes and what you can do to keep your eyes healthy
- November 3 - Diabetes Together: For people with diabetes and their care partners
- December 1 - Party Potluck: Share a dish and tips to keep you on track during the holidays
Support Group Benefits
People with diabetes face many similar challenges including major lifestyle changes, relationship challenges and dietary adjustments. A support group provides opportunities to share experiences and to learn from one another.
Come to our Live Well with Diabetes group to:
- Learn new information
- Renew your energy
- Ask questions and get answers you can trust
- Share your experiences with others.
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have lived with diabetes for years, the Diabetes Education Center at Shawnee Mission Medical Center can help you meet the challenge of living with diabetes. Although diabetes is a serious health concern, managing it properly will help reduce your risk for problems later in life. If you have never received individual diabetes education, call 913-676-2548 for an appointment. Our team is ready to help. We will get you started on the path to good blood sugar control.