Living Well with Diabetes
On the first Thursday of each month, the Diabetes Education Center offers learn and share programs from 11 a.m.-noon.
For more information, including room location, call the Outpatient Nutrition Clinic at 913-676-2495.
- January 8 - Goal Setting: Making your Diabetes Health Goals for 2015
- February 5 - Romancing Your Heart: Finding ways to keep your heart happy and healthy
- March 5 - Nutrition Jeopardy: Meet to compete as we test your nutrition knowledge
- April 2 - Diabetes Tech: Find out how new technology can be your best friend
- May 7 - Cooking Class: Whip up some fast and tasty dishes with Barb and Shelly
- June 4 - The Medicine Cabinet: Learn from experts about the new and old drugs used for diabetes
- July - No Meeting this Month. Happy Fourth of July!
- August 6 - Our Community: Learn About the many opportunities our community has to offer.
- September 3 - Exercise and Foot Care: Learn to step-up your exercise and foot care
- October 1 - The Spookiness of Diabetes: Complications of Diabetes
- November 5 - Beating the Holiday Blues: How to beat the holiday blues and keep your blood sugars under control
- December 3 - Party Potluck: Share a dish and tips to keep you on track during the holidays
Support Group Benefits
People with diabetes face many similar challenges including major lifestyle changes, relationship challenges and dietary adjustments. A support group provides opportunities to share experiences and to learn from one another.
Come to our Live Well with Diabetes group to:
- Learn new information
- Renew your energy
- Ask questions and get answers you can trust
- Share your experiences with others.
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have lived with diabetes for years, the Diabetes Education Center at Shawnee Mission Medical Center can help you meet the challenge of living with diabetes. Although diabetes is a serious health concern, managing it properly will help reduce your risk for problems later in life. If you have never received individual diabetes education, call 913-676-2548 for an appointment. Our team is ready to help. We will get you started on the path to good blood sugar control.