Diabetes Education Center
Education is crucial to controlling diabetes. Since medicine alone is not adequate to regulate diabetes, lifestyle changes are also needed to achieve good blood sugar control.
Diabetes education includes:
- Blood sugar monitoring
- Prevention of long term problems.
Available education includes:
- Individual visits with a diabetes nurse educator and a registered dietitian
- Diabetes education classes offered Tuesday evenings or Wednesday mornings
- New classes start every two to three weeks
- Tuesdays - 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays - 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Free monthly support group on the first Thursday of each month from 11 a.m.-noon
Diabetes education gives you the power to control diabetes so it does not control you. Call our Diabetes Education Center for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Shawnee Mission Diabetes Education Center
9100 W. 74th Street, Shawnee Mission, KS 66204
Weight Loss Services
Tired of fad diets? Hoping for a weight loss solution that lasts a lifetime? Our registered dietitians listen carefully to your challenges and provide personal support specific to your needs.
In Shawnee Mission Medical Center’s (SMMC) programs, you will learn:
- How to lose weight while enjoying the foods you like
- How to cope with cravings
- How to handle parties, dining out and late-night snacking temptations
- How to alter your favorite recipes
- Grocery store tips
INSHAPE One-On-One Program consists of a 90-minute initial session and weekly 15-minute follow-up appointments with a registered dietitian.
Weight Management University
Weight Management University is a 12-week group program with new sessions starting in January, May and September.
For additional information, please call the automated Weight Management hotline at 913-676-7427 or the Outpatient Nutrition Center at 913-676-2495.